The mission of Coastal's Office of Online Learning (COOL) is to advance the University's ability to offer high-quality and high-value online courses and programs targeting in-demand content areas aligned to the academic strengths of the University. Toward that end, COOL has been charged with the following:
1) Coordinating development of new online courses and programs by analyzing regional and national trends, consulting with academic departments, and managing development grants and other incentives.
2) Promoting high-quality online course design and teaching practices through collaborative development of academic and administrative policies with the university Distance Learning Committee, as well as professional development services and quality assurance protocols managed by the Center for Teaching Excellence to Advance Learning.
3) Advancing online learning resources and facilities by collaborating with academic units and Information Technology Services.
4) Marketing the Coastal Online brand and its programs by collaborating with the Office of University Communications, the Office of Admissions, and the Office of Graduate Studies, as well as academic units.
5) Coordinating the support of online learners through orientations conducted by the Office of Admissions, advising services provided by academic units, and technical support services offered by Student Computing.
6) Providing help-desk services to online instructors using the university's learning management system (Moodle).